Thursday, September 16, 2010

New jewelry...

I have quite a few new pieces ready to list on Etsy and share! :) I love making jewelry, but have to admit I despise photographing it! I guess that's why I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to listing new pieces!

I have a few new wire-wrapped pieces, but mostly I have been experimenting with other techniques...forging, stone setting...

The thing I like best about making jewelry is that there is always something new to try. Although I would LOVE to go back to school and get a degree and learn the ropes in the classroom, for now, I'm left to my own devices. So, I just try to keep adding a new skill. I have to admit sometimes it can be challenging and frustrating, and it would definitely be easier if I had an instructor showing me the way, but teaching myself has it's advantages too...I guess! ;) LOL

Last week I worked on fine silver fusing. I know, you would thing as long as I've been making jewelry and using the torch, that I would've tried this ages ago, but I guess better late than never! :) Of course, you know me...I never start on a small scale...so, I've been making a chain. I have to say fusing is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I've soldered 26 and 28 gauge sterling with know problem, but boy, it's easy to totally melting the fine silver! :) Any tips any of you would like to share?

...but the chain is coming along nicely. I'm actually going to use it as a charm necklace and filling it with handmade charms! So, I can't say that I will work with fine silver that much on this large of scale in the future, but I will definitely use it for wire wrapping foundations...and at least I can say I know how to do it! :) LOL

No comments: