Monday, October 6, 2008

October already???

Sometimes I just can't believe how fast time flies by! I know this isn't the first time I've said this, but sometimes I'm just shocked at how fast time really goes by...I have intentions of doing certain things, like writing in this blog, and before I know it, months have pasted! It's almost like I don't have any concept of time...but then again, everyone does joke that I'm in my own little world!

It's so funny though...at times it's almost like time stands still...no, maybe it's just that I'm oblivious to it. I have been very blessed in the fact that I usually get to take as much time as I want off to make jewelry...but in doing so, it's as if demands and time schedules of normal life have been tossed aside. It's not that I don't still have responsibilities...it's just that I'm kinda on my own schedule. It's just so easy to lose track of time when you are doing something you love!

So, last entry was in July...gosh, I can't believe it has been that long.

So, I took a metalsmithing class with Joe, at Lapidary Arts, here in Charlotte. I REALLY enjoyed, and can't wait to go back. I also got to meet Ruby, she teaches several classes, including gem cutting, which I can't wait to take! Joe showed me a few of the basics...using the torch, the basics about soldering, and I learned how to size rings...also, about polishing and finishing a piece. Okay...so, I have to tell you, they made me sign a waiver...it said if I catch myself on fire, then they won't be held responsible! I wonder if someone actually caught their self on fire there? It's not funny, but at the same time, I have to wonder if that's what brought about the waiver! Anyway, I'm taking another class with Joe, Wednesday...I'm excited! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

In the mean time, I've been playing around with a few things...I been painting a little, I've made some jewelry...this and that, you know how it is! :) LOL Whatever crafty urge I have at the time! :) I road around a few days and went to some of the galleries in Noda, which is the historic art district in Charlotte. I also went downtown one day. Yeah...can't help but think of Tolkien's quote, "Not all who wander are lost." I seem to wander a lot...that might actually be an understatement! :) ...it's more like I'm always wandering! LOL By the way, I'm not a huge Lord of the Ring fan...more indifferent to it than anything...honestly, I've never even read the books or seen the movie, but who hasn't heard the quote! Maybe it just stuck with me so strongly because it just rings so true to who I am...or how I live...whether mentally or physically, I'm always wandering....oh yeah, I'm a rambler too! LOL :)

Speaking of wandering around...a week or so ago, we had a huge gas shortage here in the south. It was actually pretty crazy...and kinda scary. It really makes you think though! They reported on CNN, that people were even fighting at pumps, and in at least one occasion, a gun was drawn. Now, I didn't personally witness that, but lines were LONG, in some cases hours, and there were a couple of days when I think most stations, at least here in Charlotte, were sold out of gas completely. I went to the doctor one day, up near Lake Norman, and I passed 11 stations, on the way there, none of which had gas. Anyway, just something a little crazy, I thought I would share! :)

So, a few weeks ago, I was looking online at sterling charms, and I came across the cutest sterling/enamel charms...I just had to order some of them. I have a charm bracelet...actually two bracelets, a silver and a gold one, but the silver one, is by far my favorite. I have had both of them for many years, and have been collecting charms and receiving them as gifts for a long time...the last was a gift from my cousin April. She brought me back a sterling Eiffel Tower charm from her trip to Paris in March. Anyway, I ordered a few for me, and a few extra, and from this, my new Say it isn't so...Charm Collection, was born...

These are the first few pieces:





By the way, my best friend, April, has worked in the airline industry for years. I had to throw in a little airline humor just for her...only because she said I would make one...I think I'll give it to her for Christmas!! :) LOL

These necklaces are sterling silver, and they feature hand-stamped sterling discs, that are stamped with quotes and phrases. Each charm is matched with a sterling silver or sterling silver/enamel charm that compliments it's meaning. The hand-stamped charms are chemically oxidized/antiqued, to better show the letters, and then they are polished back to a bright shine.

These sterling silver necklace are available in a variety of lengths 14", 16", 18", and 20"...and this round is available on a 1.5mm ball chain or a 1mm snake chain (available in 16, 18, and 20 inches).

No comments: